Friday, June 18, 2010

Aftermath/Reflection - Day 2

There is nothing really I can write about myself in day 2. Probably because my day ended pretty quickly. I was one of the first to go up the stage to do a freestyle and as expected, I did not do well because of the lack of preparedness. Before the competition, I thought that I had no chance of getting into the finals. Now, I had to panic to come up with a new three minute routine because I hadn't believed before that I might have stood a chance to be one of the finalists. I guess I need to believe in myself in future contests and prepare for both the preliminary and final freestyles.
I spent the rest of the day pretty much hanging around Cineleisure, looking at my friends perform and practice under the humid and dense atmosphere around the stage area.
For now, I can only provide mutual support to my friends, cheering them when they are on stage, or trying to lift their spirits when their practices turns into a disaster. I guess it helped a little bit, but not fully because they probably are too busy thinking about what will happen later. I hung out with those who did not have to perform that day as they were playing amongst themselves around the stage area. I didn't want to disturbed the people who were so focused and so determined to come up with a perfect freestyle on that day.
As the shadows covered more ground, the competition became more tense and fierce as all the main contenders that were expected to more or less place top five in the competition were performing at that time. There were a generous mix of both disappointing and amazing freestyles to the point that almost every performance you would hear screaming or cheering. I guess this is what they call 'support'. It isn't a very difficult word, but do you often see it in the eyes of common people around us? For me, to encounter such a person is a rare sight. But maybe it's just myself.
Anyway, after more and more people went down the stage with either unhappy faces or faces that depicted a sense of relief, It is almost the end of the freestyle segment. Although i do not know what it is like to come down a stage after a good performance to only see an even better performance on stage, I believe that it will be a devastating feeling to be in such a predicament. But well at the end of the day, whats done is done right?
More impromptu events, then finally the long awaited results! It's so delightful to see my good friends become top three in their what they major in. At the same time, It's kind of weird because in the past, they were just people who never could have won contests, perhaps mini eli-hop or suicide contests but not the national contest. Now, they have done what i never thought could happen so fast. Nevertheless, I feel happy for them.
I got ninth.
The event has opened my eyes to how dreams can become reality if you work hard for it. This goes to show that each and every thought and effort you put in for a certain sport or hobby will pay off. I may not have win now, but I am still a winner in my heart if i believe that I have achieved something, even if it were the littlest of things. Perhaps qualifying for this contest is a huge achievement already, because for the past three years of trying to, I have never succeeded. This goes to show that a positive thinking will definitely lift your spirits up when you are down, which is certainly useful in times when you are in distress or are depressed.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank some people who have really persuade me to practice so that I was able to qualify for this national event.
The people are :
Sean
Cheng
Iskandar
Darrell
Everyone else.
I'd like to thank all of you all for being such amazing participants by putting up a good show on stage, even if you have not performed well, take it as a stepping stone to success.

No comments:

Blog Archive