Sunday, June 6, 2010

Famine Camp.

"I'm hungry!"
"But their starving!"
These were the sentences that many of us famine campers shouted and screamed with the bottom of our lungs at Orchard Road, one of the most famous shopping district in Singapore.
Yes. In this past two days, I have been spending my time at a rather unknown place, surrounded by about a thousand of unfamiliar faces. I have been through a very unique and interesting camp, which has a prime motive of spreading the word about poverty in poor and rather undeveloped rural countries, such as Bangladeshi and Vietnam. In this camp, I am grouped up with various people of various ages. Most of them being much more academically successful and stable than me. When we ask others of their school, frequently we get answers such as - RJC, HCJC, ACJC, ACS(I) , all of which are acronyms of famous schools with high academic standards.
Before the camp, my mindset was much different than that of now. I thought that since the holidays are going to be so boring, I might as well spend some time outside with my friends, let time pass and get my 30 CIP hours. Now, I think it is so much different. It is no longer about the "rewards" anymore. I sincerely think that having to socialize with such amazing people in just under 2 days is one of the best experiences I have ever had. Also, other than socializing with unfamiliar people, I think I have bonded pretty well with my schoolmates. This is tremendously heartwarming for me because not only do I get so many new friends, I also get benefits like the 30 CIP hours!
In this camp, about over a thousand people participated in various events, such as the flash mob at Orchard Road, the Concert at the new SCAPE building, having various activities, going through life as a person in poverty, and who would forget the main event of them all, starving for 30 hours straight. While in these activities, I managed to get along pretty well with my "family" in the event. We had random bursts of laughter and traded our arsenal of IQ questions. Of course once in a while I do get tired and doze off. Well I guess it happens sometimes right?
This camp has educated me much about how fortunate we are to be living in Singapore, under such advanced living conditions and having quick and effective education. This camp has also shown me how it is like to be a person living in poverty through the various activities. It has benefited me in many different ways.
Although our group members and I have parted, I believe that one day or another, we will be able to see each other again. Be it coincidentally or planned. I hope them their best for their future endeavors and good luck to those who are taking their major exams.
See you next time :)


No comments:

Blog Archive